Friday, March 19, 2010

The Disparity In The Gay Movement.

Where is the movement for LGBT rights headed? It’s headed for passage of equal rights for all in the LGBT community, of that I am certain. This change has been a long time in the making. Since the Stonewall riots in 1969. While there are many of us working to bring about those changes, like with any such endeavor, not all of us agree on how.


Last night while I was on  a social networking site I received a message from someone I didn’t know. It was from an unknown transgendered female who had seen my conversations on the time line. She said she would have follow ed me but wouldn’t because I was against her “trans latinas” as she put it. I told her the truth, that I didn’t know what she was talking about and to show me proof of such a thing. No matter how I tried, this person insisted on telling me that I was against Transgendered people. I told her that I had added her but since she insisted on saying things that weren’t true I unfollowed her. She had her mind up. So be it. I am not online to defend myself for any amount of time to someone who knows nothing of who I am. I can only try to discuss what thoughts I have and try to see if there is a meeting of the minds. Sadly, one cannot and will not agree with everyone. It’s just not happening.

Strangely enough, yet another female wrote me and said “ You want everything to be about you’. At this point I was as they say “ too through’.I don’t know if the two were friends, nor did I care to find out. I politely (which is not often the case when I’m mad) told her that I didn’t know why she thought this was so. She, like the other person had no valid response. Their opinion as far as I can tell was formed from a comment I made about the gay community needing to target heterosexuals if we want change to really happen. My reasoning behind this is: gays such as myself who are more or less into activism know the struggles we face. Often we all know the information as it is quickly spread . Gay’s aren’t the ones who are curtailing the DOMA (The Defense of marriage Act),DADT (Don’t Ask Don’t Tell)or ENDA (The Employment Nondiscrimination Act). . It is from those that mistakenly think that we want to change their own marriages. It is from the conservative right. It is form those that aren’t aware of the many legal rights that the lgbt community is denied.

The struggle for Gay/ LGBT rights is one that is increasing daily with the arrival of new groups of activists such as Queer Rising, Fight Back New York, and Get Equal. These groups are not the passive groups such as The Human Rights Campaign. These new groups are more in the vein of Act Up, a group which has been around since the dawn of Aids when no one would help those afflicted with the disease. They are rapidly becoming a loud voice for the LGBT community. Reminiscent of the old commercials in which“ We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore” resounded.

While it is true that even under the best circumstances, differences occur. Everyone has their own way fo doing things. My way may or may not be the way for some. Just as theirs might not be mine. This does not take away from the fact that we are all working towards the same end. Equal Rights for all in the LGBT community. Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transsexual, or even Questioning (which is a relatively new term).There is a long way still to go. If we are to bring about Equality, it has to be with some form of unity and not back biting and egocentricity. There will be times when we don’t agree. Times when I state as much. It does not erase any of the good done by one group or another, or even one individual or another. None of us is perfect, and none of us however practiced or knowledgeable has all the answers. I don’t. I’ve never known anyone that has. Here’s to a better understanding in the LGBT community and getting the word out that it’s not about a GAY AGENDA. It’s about EQUAL RIGHTS for all in LGBT community.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! Spam will not be tolerated.