Friday, April 2, 2010

Yes! We Give a Damn!

Yes, I give a damn! It’s the reason I try to spread awareness as much as I can. The reason I live my life as if I have the 1,138 Federal rights that are denied to the LGBT community. It’s the reason I try not to write fluff articles just to fill up a page. I am not alone.There are countless others like me.

The list is huge and rapidly growing. In all walks of life. Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transsexual, Straight,. Rich and Poor, celebrities and just plain ole regular folk from Main Street U.S.A.

A new video just released by http://www.wegiveadamn.org/, is no doubt but one more avenue through which many celebrities will lend their voices to equality. The video features stars Cyndi Lauper, Whoopi Goldberg, Wanda Sykes, Sharon Osbourne, Clay Aiken, Anna Paquin, Elton John, Jason Mraz, Kevin Alejandro and Cynthia Nixon. My heartfelt thanks to these Stars of equality. They not only lend their vocal support, but their emotional and monetary support often times. I’m sure there are many more videos and actions forthcoming. I'm sure they will be joined by even more of their colleagues. Visibility speaks volumes. It also works wonders in bringing about change. Those of us in the gay community, especially Blacks and Latinos, such as myself, have been “Out of Sight, Out of Mind” for too long. It’s time to stand up and be counted, and I don’t mean only for the Census.



So do you give a damn? If you do, please do what you can to help further LGBT Equality. It doesn’t take much. A phone call to your Senator, a donation to any one of the great organizations, such as the Trevorproject.org, Gladd, Human Rights Campaign, or The Ali Forney Center for Gay Youth. Maybe you can just speak up the next time a coworker says “ Look at that “fa**ot over there”. Chances are good the coworker is gay as well. Anything you do will be appreciated.

It’s time we all gave a damn. Don't you agree?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! Spam will not be tolerated.