Monday, October 18, 2010

Watch The Two Amazing LGBT Videos That Are Going Viral


A  recent rash of gay teen suicides and  hate crimes has shocked America and New York. It  has prompted me to write about these two videos that are going viral! Both of the videos were made for the  “It Gets Better” campaign implemented by Dan Savage. The video by  Fort Worth ,Texas council member Joel Burns, hit particularly close to home. Councilman Burns is also the gay son of Methodist church pianist, whose story you will learn about in his video below. Like Mr. Burns, I too at 13 went through bullying. In my case however it was at the hands of my older gay brother. Suffice it to say that the bullying was at times being called girl names, being told I had no shoulders, I walked like a girl, and I had a small “thing”.  Had I not been a strong individual those words would still be with me today.  It took years for my brother and I to even be in the same room after I turned 17. He passed away in 2006. I didn’t even know until last year. It seems he never forgot the fact that we were very similar. I still took it extremely hard when I found out. There were some good memories as well. In my case it did get better.







The second video is one made by Singer Adam Lambert, of American Idol fame. Mr. Lambert admits that he still feels bullied to this day, adding:
There’s always gonna be people that are scared of it. But at the end of the day, if you give those bullies and those people that are so ignorant and fearful of your lifestyle, if you give them the power to affect you, you’re letting them win and they don’t deserve that
Here is the Video:








Perhaps when more well known politicians and celebrities "come out" in defense of the LGBT community, hate crimes will become a thing of the past. We can only hope and work towards that end.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to Mr Joel Burns and Mr Adam Lambert for standing up and letting the world know their experiences with hate. "It will get better" and our youth need this message on a daily message. Thank you once again for sharing this great content Stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read it and comment. It's good to know there are so many like you and I that really care about moving our rights forward!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! Spam will not be tolerated.