Friday, November 26, 2010

Stopping The Rise of Teen Suicide


Dan Savage’s “ It Gets Better Project” on you tube which was started by the well known gay columnist in September, as garnered not only over 1 million views, but high profile individuals as well. Dan started the project to stem the tide of teen bullying and gay suicide that has been all too frequent since September, a time in which over 12 teens have committed suicide. Most notably, Tyler Clementi, a NJ college student who jumped into the Hudson after a sex act he was engaged in was secretly video taped by a roommate.

Although participants in the program come from all spectrums and walks of life, following is a list of the most well known, who have given their voices and input to the program.


There is a debate going on as to whether the program will stem the tide of teen suicides or make it swell. I think that it is a good project, albeit one which will have to ask it’s participants to do more than just a video, especially those who have the power to incorporate new laws and governmental programs. What are your thoughts on the subject?

5 comments:

  1. Whaddup, Stone. I tweeted something about this a while back. I think the campaign is a good idea, but I do fear that this campaign could also add fuel to bullies' fires to continue their wrongful doings. I also feel that saying "It gets better" is not enough to console those who have really considered suicide. It's kinda like scraping your elbow after a fall, then someone places a bandaid on it and says, "It'll get better."

    I've heard it so many times myself, when I was going through my dark period....I heard it from chat buddies and an old college profressor, who's a lesbian, and with all that, it still didn't hit me. The efforts are great, but I still fear that those of the LGBT community that are trully suffering, still may not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    We can only hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. I've been there as well. It remains to be seen how the project will turn out. The thing is that those teenagers need more than a video, they need understanding and outreach.Help. No one who is feeling like their world is ending thinks about what they're doing. It's based on emotion. The trick is to help them before they GET to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you organized this whole post Stone! Thanks for continuing to put out the word as to how important it is to support our LGBT youth. You rock!!

    Everett~♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Thanks! It took a while to get the pic the way I wanted. I'm just glad I'm doing what I can. Thanks for all of your support and holding it down too! We'll get our rights...there is no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also feel that saying "It gets better" is how do you stop spam not enough to console those who have really considered suicide. It's kinda like scraping your elbow after a fall,

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! Spam will not be tolerated.