Wednesday, October 31, 2012

President Obama and Mitt Romney: Trick or Treat

Today, after what for most of us on the East Coast has been a week full of hardships due to hurricane Sandy, President Obama toured New Jersey. Welcomed by not only New Jersey’s Governor Chris Christie , but many devastated and ever hopeful New jerseyans, the President reiterated this would not be business as usual, simply stating:
We are here for you and we will not forget, we will follow up to make sure you get all the help you need until you rebuild.
Governor Christie, while not one of my favorite politicians, and not an ally of the LGBT community, has shown incredible fortitude and humanity in his leadership during this difficult time. The Governor also praised President Obama for his constant hands on handling of hurricane sandy, saying;
I want to thank the president for coming here today. It's really important to have the president of the United States acknowledge all the suffering that's going on here in New Jersey and I appreciate it very much.
I appreciate it as well, not only as an American and New Yorker, but as a former New jerseyan as well. It strikes close to home. Especially since I have felt the devastating effects of losing all of my own belongings. My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone effected by this huge tragedy. While I am indeed emotional regarding the hurricane, I cannot express how equally I must condemn the statement of Governor Romney with regards to The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). If you don’t know (hard to imagine, but possible) Gov. Romney has stated that he would dismantle FEMA. When asked at a press briefing whether he would still dismantle FEMA. Mr. Romney ignored the question. 14 times. I guess Gov. Romney wishes this video had never seen the light of day:



Here is what President Obama had to say about his own views on FEMA:



I do not fool myself into thinking that the days ahead will be easy for anyone. It won’t be easy for those of us affected by hurricane sandy, not by those effected by the economy, not by those who have a major decision to choose wisely in the upcoming election. I will however say that I will vote for re-election for President Obama. Partly because I am a Democrat, but more importantly, because I believe the President has done well with the horribly huge task he inherited. He has shown true leadership by going after Bin Laden and those who are extremists. He has been vocal in his support of the LGBT community, and he has shown himself to be more of a humanitarian than I think Governor Romney could be with going on dozens of religious missions. We’ve been through too much for Governor Romney to bring back Bushes’ failed policies and tax breaks for the wealthy. We all know where that lead to. It’s up to us America. Will we go for the trick or the treat?

2 comments:

  1. Treat yo self!lol

    In all seriousness, I'm praying for all my friends on the east coast. I can only imagine how tough it's been. I'm glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bam! It's been a lot on the people here, But we're strong!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! Spam will not be tolerated.